Monday, August 25, 2008

parlez-vous français ?

Well neither do I, but there is a new family in our ward that just moved here from Paris. The dad is going to the U to get his masters degree. They have 4 young children with the oldest being 11. I've watched them in Primary and can't help but think how hard it would be to move to a new country and all the sudden be submerged in a new language. Their oldest child is a girl and for some reason, I've taken a special liking to her. She gave a talk a couple of weeks ago in Primary and it was so neat to hear her accent and it must have taken a lot of courage to get up and speak in English in front of so many kids. She has 2 younger brothers in Primary and they speak even less English than her.

This last Sunday during singing time, we were learning some new songs for our Primary program and I happened to notice her writing something down in a notebook. Being the nosey lady that I am, I had to lean forward and see what she was writing. At the top of the page was "Primary songs to learn in English". I was so impressed by her desire to learn. After Primary, I kept thinking about it and about the pocket size children's songbook I had in my scripture bag. I went up to her after Sacrament and asked her if she had a copy of the songbook in English at home. She sadly said no and sort of looked down. I asked her if she would like to have my copy so that she could practice at home. Her eyes lit up and she was so appreciative. It was a small thing for me to do, but it made me feel so glad, and I'm sure she was happy as well. Just thought I'd share my fun experience.

5 comments:

Loftus' said...

How cute!! It's so neat to see that children can still be good and want to stay on the right track - what a good example she is.

Christy said...

what compassion you have!Thanks for your good example. If we would all reach out to the children what a happier place the world could be!

zoo keeper said...

That's the Emily I know and Love!!!!
BTW I love your page and you should leave me some tips. Hope all is happy and well with you guys! Love, me

Caroline said...

You did the right thing! I am so impressed that you followed the Spirit. BTW- nosiness makes the world go round!

Celeste said...

I love your story! Def brightened my day!